Monday, February 27, 2012

Harding Time Trial


I don’t normally stray from the training that Lynda, my coach, designs for me, but I couldn’t resist participating in the first Conquer the Mounting Harding TruckTrail Time Trial.  I thought it would be a great opportunity to race a single speed and gain more experience with choosing the right gear ratio.  Last year I raced single speed at two cross country events and I had such a great time despite feeling like I chose a gear ratio that was too big. 

The last time I rode Harding was at least five years ago so I took the 29er out to ride it twice on the Saturday before the event in order to get a feel for it.   


On Monday, I swung by the Path bike shop to drop off an old S-works bike that I used to race back in 2006 and several parts that I wanted to have swapped out.  Out of respect for the climb, I chose a ratio that I thought would be a challenge, but something I could turn over at a decent rate.  I took the bike over to Harding on Wednesday to ride it up the first 15 minutes of the climb and it felt pretty good.  I debated on going with a smaller cog, but I decided to play it a little safe.


Only ten minutes into the race and I realized that I made a big mistake.  I should have been bold and opted for the bigger ratio.  I have some unfinished business on Harding so I’ll be out there this summer working on getting it right.

Ready to conquer the mountain in my new colors.



 Single speed podium shot with Brad, my former Shoair teammate.


Heidi, SoCal Endurance teammate, and I both took the overall trophy for all the age groupers.
The single speeders were lumped in with all the age group categories and we both rode a SS.


 Two for the team.

Thank you Lynda for designing an awesome training plan around my crazy work schedule, to Jason for the tremendous effort getting the SoCal Endurance team off the ground, to all the sponsors for the excellent gear, to the guys at the Path for getting that old bike back in decent racing condition and to the race organizer for putting on a great event.

No comments:

Post a Comment